Hey There! Can you believe it’s already July? 6 months in the bag on 2020, and I think it goes without saying that this year has been one for the books. I’ve been trying new things during this isolation period, and that includes new recipes, and working on more plant based meals to help lessen the impact on our world. If you’ve never made tofu or don’t think you like it- I’d like to share this Crispy Buffalo Tofu Bite with you. Honestly- not a huge tofu lover until recently, and it all has to do with perfecting that crispy texture.
Tofu has a similar making process to cheese actually, just sub dairy milk for soy milk, and we’re left with a block of white soy based protein. It’s pretty flavorless- making it a great canvas for whatever sauce or spice you love! The secret is in the press. By pressing the tofu, we eliminate any extra water, allowing space for flavor to be absorbed, get it? Water out, flavor in!
This recipe is super easy, and is made in the oven. You can bake these little bites for as long as you like, some may want a shorter bake time for a softer bite, and some may want to go a little longer, for an even crispier texture! The time is really up to you!. I don’t have an air fryer, BUT I have a sneaking suspicion these would be so easy to make in one. If you have one, be sure to try it and let me know, will ya?
I use my favorite brand of seasoning salt for this recipe- but I’ve also used the Trader Joes Vegan Chicken-less Spice, and also a mixture of garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Feel free to use whatever strikes your fancy.
Lastly- this recipe includes buffalo sauce, however, the method is super versatile. If i’m making a stir fry, I’ll sub the buffalo sauce for soy sauce or coconut aminos, that way, I’m still getting the crispy tofu texture I want, with a flavor profile for the dish I’m making. You can use whatever sauce you like, and I cannot wait to hear what combos are your favorite!
For this recipe, all you need is a heavy pan for the pressing- I like a cast iron skillet because it’s big and flat, a decent sized mixing bowl, and a baking sheet lined with parchment paper! Let’s do it!
Oven Baked Bites of Tofu, in a Spicy Buffalo Crust!
- 2 lb Firm Tofu (this is 2 blocks of tofu)
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Sauce (I love Franks Red Hot )
- 3 T nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Seasoning Salt (or 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp salt)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- Begin by draining and rinsing your tofu. Pat dry, and then cut the block in half, lengthwise. Lay slabs onto a flat surface, covered in a towel, and place a flat and heavy dish on top, to press tofu for at least one hour.
- Once the tofu has been pressed, cut slab into four strips, then rotate and cut into four again- creating cubes!
- Preheat oven to 425. In a large mixing bowl, add tofu, buffalo sauce, seasoning, and nutritional yeast. Mix gently with a spatula, as to not break up the cubes, but to make sure the seasoned sauce gets combined and all over the tofu pieces. Then, sprinkle the arrow root flour over the mixture, and gently stir, again, until all the pieces are covered in a thick batter type consistency.
- Next, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and arrange your tofu cubes evenly. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until golden brown and crispy! Serve with ranch as a dipping sauce, or top your favorite salad, wrap, or bowl with these little bites of spice! Pro Tip: I like to toss mine with 1-2 additional tablespoons of hot sauce after they cook- for a saucy wing type of experience! Enjoy for up to a week in the refrigerator!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! I really can’t wait to hear what you think! Be sure to tag me on instagram, @thatswhatsheeats, when you recreate this recipe at home! I love to see your foodie pics and keep up with you in the kitchen.
Thanks for reading, friends!