Sunday supper is getting a veggie twist today here on “thatswhatsheeats”. Ya’ll know I work with a local produce rescue company here in Cleveland, Perfectly Imperfect Produce, and we got lots of eggplant in our box last week!
I created this recipe with Sunday sauce in mind, dreaming of a huge batch of marinara and veggie “meatballs” floating within, adding Parmesan and crusty baguette to scoop it all up!
So, if you’re looking for an easy veggie friendly recipe to feed a crowd, try these eggplant “meatballs”, I think you’ll love them as much as me!
Vegetarian Eggplant “Meatballs”
3 cups fresh Eggplant, diced into 1inch pieces, skin on is great
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup fresh basil
½ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon each salt & pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment or non-stick foil.
2. In a sauté pan, add olive oil, eggplant, and salt & pepper. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing the eggplant to soften.
3. Let the cooked eggplant cool for about 5-10 minutes, until it’s cool enough to handle. Transfer to a food processor or blender, and add fresh basil. Pulse 10-12 times, until basil and eggplant are in smaller pieces.
4. In mixing bowl, combine pulsed eggplant mixture with the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, and egg. Stir to combine.
5. Roll into balls, and transfer to baking sheet. Bake the veggie bites for 20 minutes, until they’re firm to the touch and golden brown.
6. You can add these to your favorite marinara sauce, over pasta or rice for an easy dinner! I like to add mine to sauce and slider buns for a vegetarian approved game day snack!
I hope this recipe makes its way to your table, and if you recreate it, be sure to tag me on Instagram, @thatswhatsheeats, so I can keep up with your foodie journey! Happy Sunday, friends!
Hi thanks for sharing such an awesome healthy delicious moutwarering recipe here. I hope you will soon like my post about Koki which is a healthy indian bread https://borntoguide.com/2018/09/30/recipe-of-healthy-indian-vegetarian-bread-koki/ Thanks again.