Someone messaged me the other day and said, “Any suggestions on what to do with a spaghetti squash? I bought one last week and we’ve been staring at each other ever since’. Ha! I felt that. I whipped these up earlier in the year when some of my personal chef client families had a surplus of squash and were tired of adding it to pasta sauce. This recipe is super versatile, you can use GF flour, leave out the cheese if you’re DF, even add crumbled bacon. Also highly recommend blending all of the ingredients to make a savory spaghetti squash pancake. These are great as a side dish, or as a snack- serve with ranch for dipping, or top with a dollop of chip dip and a few crumbles of bacon.
I made these on my Char-Griller Flat Iron Griddle. I love that thing- it’s like having a giant cast iron right in your own backyard. These fritters will get crispy on the outside, and melty on the inside.
This blog is done in long-term partnership with Char-Griller Grills. All thoughts and recipes are my own. Thank you for your support!
- 1 medium Spaghetti Squash, cooked, and shredded from skin
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup grated or diced pecorino
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 T parsley, chopped
- To cook spaghetti squash, cut in half and remove the seeds. You can either lay halves cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for 45-60 mins at 375 or lay cut side down on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 15-20 mins. Shred and add to a bowl, let cool to room temp.
- Once squash is cool, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. This will form a thick batter and will be speckled with the herbs and have texture of the squash strands running through it. For picky kiddos- You can blend all of the ingredients to make a smooth, more pancake like batter- both are equally delicious.
- Preheat the Char-Griller Flat Iron Griddle to medium heat. Add 1-2 T of oil to the surface and rub evenly with a towel. Let the griddle heat up for about 5 minutes, and then add dollops of fritter batter to the surface, about ¼ cup in each fritter. Reduce heat to low, and let cook for 5 minutes. Flip, and finish cooking for another 5 minutes. The fritters will be crispy on the outside and melty on the inside. Serve while hot! Enjoy!
Hope you try this recipe at home, and when you do- tag me on instagram, @thatswhatsheeats, so I can keep up with your foodie journey!
Thanks for reading!