It’s fall, and while the weather isn’t breaking much here in Florida, I’ve got fall flavors on my mind. In my opinion, the perfect way to enjoy a crisp evening is outside cooking dinner. We got most of the outdoor space finished last week, and I’ve got a little patio grill station that I’m absolutely in love with. I’m just counting down the days till it really cools down so I can just live out there!I shared some of the patio process on instagram, so be sure to check it out-
I’ve got the Char-Griller Flat Iron Griddle seasoned up and ready to go- so let’s make this loaded sandwich. The layers of roasted squash, apples, and walnut pesto are really something special in this seasonal grilled cheese! Let’s dig in!
This blog is done in long term partnership with Char-Griller Grills. Thank you for supporting @thatswhatsheeats! All thoughts, opinions, and recipes are my own.
Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple Grilled Cheese
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
8 slices of thick sourdough bread
1 cup roasted butternut squash, peeled and sliced thinly
1 large apple, sliced thinly
1.5 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
1/3 cup walnut pesto
2 T butter
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated pecorino romano
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and the thinly sliced pieces of squash and apple. Bake for 25-30 minutes until softened. While you wait, shred your cheese! Hand grated is best because it’ll melt way better than store-bought shredded. Trust me!
2. In a food processor, pulse toasted walnuts, cheese, garlic, and salt until combined. Slowly drizzle oil in until it’s a thick and smooth consistency. Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks!
2. Preheat Flat Iron Griddle to medium-high heat and let your butter melt. Arrange the slices of bread on the griddle, while scooping each piece through the butter to get the outsides coated.
3. Add a generous sprinkle of the white cheddar, then add your thinly sliced squash and apples. Let the pieces hang out for 5ish minutes, letting the cheese get melty, and the fillings get warm.
4. Layer the pieces of bread up and form sandwiches. Serve with your favorite soup and get to dunking!
Hope you love this sandwich as much as me!! Can’t wait to see you recreate this one at home! Be sure to tag me on instagram, @thatswhatsheeats, so I can keep up with your foodie journey!
thanks for reading!