You know what they say! Monday’s are for the Meatballs! (Does anyone say that?)
Anyways, this week has been full of unpacking and building furniture, making sure everything in a box has a home. We moved last Friday and have been settling into our new house, one box at a time! I’ll be sharing more about the move on the blog, soon!
I’ve been relying on easy meals this week, and you know I’m never too far from a grilled weeknight dish! For this recipe, I used my Akorn Jr. I love to take it it to the beach, camping, but it’s also the perfect little back patio grill, which was just what we needed this week! Side Note: The Akron Jr. holds in heat for a long time, and also makes a great smoker if you’re looking for something small to get started with!
This blog is done in long-term Partnership with Char-Griller Grills. All recipes, thoughts, and opinions are my own! Thanks for supporting Thats What She Eats.
Pro Tip: I used a store-bought pesto to save time, but if you don’t have any in the fridge, or don’t want to make your own, you can sub 1 T chopped basil, and 1/2 T dried oregano for a punch of flavor. If you do not have the Char-Griller Chicken Rub/ Seasoning, sub 1 T garlic powder, 1 T dried parsley, 1/2 T salt, and 1/2 T black pepper.
A grilled version of a Sunday favorite!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup almond flour or breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 egg
- 3 T Char-Griller Chicken Rub/Seasoning
- 3 cups tomato puree
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 2–3 T pesto
- Preheat your Char-Griller Grill. I lit my charcoal in the chimney, and released it into the base of my Akorn Jr. I closed the lid and let the grates heat up for 10 minutes- then I brushed them, and sprayed them with avocado oil!
- While the charcoal is lighting, prep your meatballs. In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, egg, parmesan, pesto, 2 T of the Char-Griller Chicken Rub, and your almond flour or bread crumbs. Mix until just combine and roll into meatballs. You can make 9 large meatballs, or12 smaller meatballs.
- Place the meatballs on the grill, and cook on each side for 3-5 minutes per side until marked. Flip, and do the same. Once you’ve got grill marks on both sides, remove meatballs from the grill and set aside.
- Next, In a cast iron skillet, add tomato puree, chopped basil, water, and the remaining Chicken Rub. Combine, and place meatballs in sauce. Place on grill and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve Pesto Chicken Meatballs with grilled bread, pasta, or a tossed salad. Enjoy!
Hope you love this recipe as much as we do! We ate them with Cauliflower Gnocchi, and a big salad. These leftovers would make AWESOME meatball sandwiches!
Be sure to tag me on instagram, @thatswhatsheeats, when you recreate this dish at home! I love keeping up with your foodie journey!
Thanks for reading!